Untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.1.1 is ready
You can safely upgrade to 5.1.1 now if you want to be ready. pod2g says on his twitter, upgrade to latest iOS now, Absinthe version 2.0 Untethered should be arrived in couple of days, also he write about "Why you need to jailbreak?"
Why jailbreak ?
There are multiple reasons to jailbreak, including :
changing the iOS experience with powerful tweaks that can't ever exist on the AppStore : SBSettings, WinterBoard, IntelliScreenX, LockInfo, and lot of others...
playing retro games on console and arcade emulators.
having access to a unix shell in you pocket, and all the open source software that can run on a unix OS.
The jailbreak is not meant for (and we are totally against it) :
pirating AppStore applications
Also please don't pirate Cydia tweaks, there are people working hard on these, and the price is usually low. There's no reason to do that.
Some facts about the 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak
* All info below is tentative and subject to last minute refinements
* @pod2g's 5.1.1 jailbreak+untether is working out great. All devices are covered except for AppleTV3,1, which currently has no path for jailbreaking.
- the initial 5.1.1 plan used a kernel exploit from @westbaer which unfortunately precluded use in iPod3,1 and iPhone2,1
- @planetbeing stepped up and provided a kernel exploit that covers both of those. Those two JBers are the bomb!
* The 5.1.1 A5 JB is very similar to the A5 5.0.1 JB. @pimskeks has done a tremendous job supporting both 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 in absinthe
* Similar to 5.0.1, there will also be a 5.1.1 CLI "cinject" binary and redsn0w version of the 5.1.1 JB+untether. Absinthe, cinject, and redsn0w will all provide the same JB in different fashions.
- timing is indeterminate. Plans are for this week, but a number of factors can influence that.
* For those wishing to donate, we've set up a new 5.1.1 paypal URL: paypal
* Please don't pirate AppStore apps (seriously, please do not).