Instapaper, Pocket and Readability has long helped us to defer reading longer articles and pieces published on the internet on Post-PC devices in a stripped down, convenient format.
While these software services are nice to have, there is one feature missing: the ability to read on the Mac. Our software, ReadKit, connects to these services and lets you read on your Mac even when you're offline.
Choose the layout, formatting and style you prefer for reading, with the ability to move, add, archive and even mark your bookmarks as favorites. The interface is simple providing a straight forward reading experience without making any compromises.
"A solid piece of software for those who have been looking for a desktop version of their favorite read later service."
"Quite simply the best way to read your saved Instapaper, Pocket, and Readability links on a Mac."
"If you're an avid bookmarker who uses multiple services, or you're just looking for a solid desktop app for Readability and Instapaper, ReadKit does the job."
You will either need an Instapaper, Pocket or Readability account to use ReadKit with. Instapaper users will need to have a premium subscription to use their account with ReadKit or any other 3rd party application. Bookmark managing only works while the internet connection is active.
• sync all your bookmarks with Instapaper, Pocket and Readability
• offline reading
• simple views with focus on the content
• customizable interface: font style, face, alignment, height, line spacing and page width
• change between original and stripped down content with a click
• built in browser view for viewing inline links and other references
• the browser is capable to save links for offline viewing
• preference to open links either in ReadKit or in your default browser
• add, remove, move, archive and mark bookmarks as favorites
• focus mode: reading without interface elements
• preference to display unread items in the dock
What's New in Version 1.1
First of all, we'd like to thank you for all the positive feedback after a fantastic start on the Mac App Store! We have worked a lot on this version of ReadKit to make it even better. Most of the changes are based on your feedback. We would like to highlight two of them:
- We added full support for Pocket and Readability tags.
- We added two new services: Pinboard and Delicious. As of now, you can browse and manage your Pinboard and Delicious bookmarks with ReadKit. In addition, you can download and store the contents of these bookmarks locally in a stripped down, convenient format. Special thanks for this feature to the crew of Readability!
- Added support for Pinboard and Delicious bookmarking services
- Display the content of Pinboard and Delicious bookmarks in a stripped down way
- Share Pinboard and Delicious bookmarks by dropping them into the "Shared" folder
- Added Pocket and Readability tag management
- You can select and manage multiple bookmarks at once
- Send bookmarks to Evernote (Evernote app has to be installed)
- Drag and drop bookmarks between services
- Updated and improved several UI elements
- Added backward compatibility with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
- Fixed a bug that said: "Data error while encoding JSON"
- Fixed the bookmark selection when a bookmark deleted or archived and disappears from the list
- Fixed sync indicator issues (endless loop)
- Fixed font issues when Optima font was missing or disabled
- Improved handling of Pocket video content
- Improved handling of favicons
- Fixed handling of malformed URLs
We would like to hear from you. If you have any questions or concerns regarding to our software, don't hesitate to contact us via email (email@example.com), Twitter (@readkit) or visit our homepage at http://readkitapp.com
What's New in Version 1.2
• Article themes can be applied both on the sidebar and on the bookmark list
• Option to set the bookmark items height
• Option to show/hide favicons
• Option to show colorful/mono icons
• Option to set article width dynamically
• Option to set the order of archived bookmarks in the bookmark list
• Auto-syncing in the background can be turned on in the preferences
• Search results now highlight matches in articles
• You can now search in all folders or filter the current one
• Fixed issues with “Open Links in Background”
• Added tag search for Pinboard and Delicious