** See GIF Brewery in action at http://gifbrewery.tumblr.com/ and http://helloresolven.com/portfolio/gifbrewery/.**
GIF Brewery is a Mac OS X app that converts clips from your video files to GIFs. There is no more need extracting frames from your movies and fiddling with Adobe Photoshop (tm). Let GIF Brewery do all the hard work for you.
* Convert clips from your videos into small GIF files.
* Resize or crop the video for your GIF.
* Create GIFs with your desired FPS or manually set the frame count and frame delay.
* Change the looping direction, such as normal playback, reverse, or even palindrome!
* Change the number of loops for your GIF.
* Apply Core Image filters like Sepia or Color Correction.
* Save your settings for later edits!
* Supports 10.6 Snow Leopard, 10.7 Lion, 10.8 Mountain Lion.
* Makes your hip on Tumblr, assuming your GIFs are smaller than 1MB.
* GIF Brewery will not alter the original file and settings just impact the GIF.
* GIF Brewery can only open and create clips from movies that Quicktime can open and play. Apple provides a list of the file formats and codecs at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3775.
* If you are using Lion and have a QuickTime component called 3ivx installed, GIF Brewery will crash when trying to open files. This issue is a problem with 3ivx and Lion. You will need to update or remove 3ivx in order for GIF Brewery to function properly.
* If you are using Lion/Mountain Lion and have the Flip4Mac WMV plugin, GIF Brewery will crash when trying to open files if you have versions ~2.4. You must upgrade to the latest 3.0, which is made for OS X 10.7+.
If you are having an issue with any of the codecs listed above, please contact us!
Whats New in Version 2.0
**IMPORTANT NOTES** Please read this.
First, if you are using Lion or Mountain Lion, please update all of your Quicktime plugins, such as Flip4Mac or Perian. Flip4Mac's pre-3.0 versions are prone to crash GIF Brewery 2.0 due to sandbox restrictions. The same applies for other plugins.
Second, we know about the -54 error. A current workaround is to copy the file to a USB drive and open the file from there. This error is caused by an error with OS X's sandbox & GIF Brewery and the root cause is being investigated. If you experience this error, please contact us.
Welcome to the long awaited and oft-promised GIF Brewery 2.0. Please read these update notes!
First, check out GIF Brewery 2.0 in action at http://helloresolven.com/portfolio/gifbrewery/ or http://gifbrewery.tumblr.com/.
Second, if you run into any issues, please e-mail us or contact us via Twitter. A broken GIF Brewery is a sad GIF Brewery. Also feel free to contact us over feature ideas or suggestions!
Third, if you experience "hash mismatch" errors or are unable to run the app after updating, close App Store, delete the old GIFBrewery from your Applications folder, and empty the trash. Then return to App Store and re-install GIFBrewery from your Purchased list. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Fourth, if you run into any errors, please contact via e-mail. Bugs cannot be fixed without bug reports.
Anyways, onto the release notes!
* Brand new UI, no more second floating side window.
* Check out the menu bar & toolbar for most actions. There are also a plethora of keyboard shortcuts.
* You may now drag files to the GIF Brewery icon in your dock to open files quickly.
* New icon.
* Now sandboxed.
* GIF Brewery 1.0 save files are not compatible with GIF Brewery 2.0.
* Can now goto a specific time by Movie > Go to time... or double-clicking the current time.
* Can now skip forward/backward five seconds.
* Filters now behave like other image editors.
* Can now remove all filters at once.
* Cropping has been implemented.
* Can now reset canvas, which removes all preview crops & resizes.
* Ability to add an overlay to your GIF has been implemented.
* Added ability to simply set the FPS for GIFs. This option will automatically calculate the frame count & delay for you based on your clip.
* Added ability to set the default FPS for new GIFs. (GIF Brewery > Preferences...)
* You may now export the frames as PNGs instead of GIF. (Create > Export as Frames...)
* Removed "Preview in Safari..." option due to Apple's App Sandbox restrictions. Sorry about that.
What's New in Version 2.0.1
First, thanks to all users for the reviews, feedback, and bug reports. They've been quite helpful in the past couple of months since release of GIF Brewery 2.0. There's lots of changes here, so please read!
So, here is GIF Brewery 2.0.1. You can read more details on http://gifbrewery.tumblr.com.
* If you were experiencing the -54 error, GIF Brewery will try another option for opening the file. Note, however, this loads the entire video into memory before playback. So, playback might stutter for particularly large video files.
* If you are experiencing crashes and have Perian, Flip4Mac, DivX, 3ivX or any other Quicktime components installed, please verify that they are the latest version and fully support sandboxed apps. There is nothing GIF Brewery can do to support them otherwise.
* If you experience any other problems/crashes/hiccups/relationship problems, please remember to contact via e-mail or twitter. It is the only way bugs can be handled & resolved.
* Users may now add captions to your GIF.
* Users may now rotate and mirror the video.
* Added initial support for JKL navigation.
* Added ability to set the start/end points by pressing I or O respectively.
* GIF Properties no longer blocks use of rest of app.
* Mute button added.
* Clip duration added to bottom right of window.
* Start/end times now shown while changing times with slider.
* Clip selection slider slightly improved.
* The menubar now has icons.
* Sharpen filters re-added.
* Users may open GIFs again.
* Clicking the dock icon with no open windows should open a "File Open..." dialog a tad bit quicker.
* By default, GIF Brewery now returns to GIF Brewery 1.4's 24 frames / 100 ms frame delay setting. Users may, of course, switch to the automatic FPS setting in GIF Properties.
* Pressing green traffic light should now behave properly.
* Again, I'd like to reiterate the thanks for all the bug reports and feature requests. If you experience a bug or have an idea for a new feature, please contact us at contact @ helloresolven.com. Have a good day, and happy GIF making!
What's New in Version 2.1
Welcome to 2.1. For more information and examples on the new features, visit http://www.helloresolven.com/portfolio/gifbrewery/ and http://gifbrewery.tumblr.com/.
Note: If you experience any crashes whatsoever please contact Hello Resolven Apps at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are unable to diagnose the issue without help from affected users.
Anyways, onto the new features and changes!
* Added ability to reduce the number of colors used in the GIF via Adaptive color palettes. (Generally reduces file size, but will increase GIF creation time)
* Added support for using dithering when using custom color palette. (Generally improves image quality, but may increase file size)
* Added a progress bar for GIF creation.
* Opened movies now added to Open Recent menu.
* Drag & drop the overlay/caption without needing to access "Move Overlay".
* Altered the video timeline / scrubber.
* Changed frame extraction process. GIF Brewery should now include the frame at end of selected clip range.
* Should now display anamorphic widescreen videos properly.