Fast & lossless audio editing
With Fission's streamlined audio editing, you can quickly copy, paste and trim audio, as well as split files. Fission also works with compressed MP3 and AAC formats to edit without the quality loss caused by other editors. Get perfect quality audio when editing natively in the MP3, AAC, Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV formats. Read on or just download now!
What's New Version 1.6.12:
A problem caused by Mac OS X 10.7.4 which led to Apple Lossless files not displaying properly has been corrected.
Fission now accepts new YELO- license keys.
Several other minor changes have been made.
What's New Version 2.1.0:
* Fission is now fully Retina-ready!
* MP3 export now supports both constant bit rate (CBR) and variable bit rate (VBR).
* AAC export now supports High Efficiency encoding (HE-AAC).
* Files can now be dragged from iTunes into Fission's Start window.
* Fission can now import audio from .mov, .wma, .avi, .mp4 files, and more.
* A bug which could trigger an alert when closing an unsaved document has been fixed.
* Album artwork now properly appears in the file's icon when available.
* Fission now writes iTunes-style tags to AIFF files, non-standard though they may be!
* Using "i" and "o" to create a selection has been improved, allowing playback while creating the selection.
* Any file can now use the "Save As Chapterized AAC" option, regardless of its current file format or number of clips present.
* Fission's Save dialogs now properly handle file extensions.
* Files imported via QuickTime now only allow for an Export, to avoid overwriting the original file.
* In addition to the iTunes dragging noted above, the Start window now takes drags of all document types Fission can open.
* An issue where converting file formats erroneously produced CBR files (despite claiming to make VBR files) has been corrected.
* A problem where the Undo menu item unhelpfully said "Undo Button" for several actions has been fixed.
* The Start window no longer appears than immediately disappears on launch, when Fission is opening to a file. It also no longer immediately reappears when closed if no other windows are open.
* The delete and backspace keys now both perform the same expected functions.
* Issues caused by Fission overzealously writing its file icon, such as other applications not correctly changing the icon at a later point, have been removed.
* Erroneous errors which could pop up when cancelling transcoding, exporting, or saving have been fixed.
* When an error occurs during Batch Conversion, the Batch Converter continues with the rest of the files after the error dialog is dismissed.
* Closing the Start window no longer immediately re-opens it.
* "Remove & Split" has been renamed to "Remove and Split" in the Clip menu.
* Support for several additional sample rates (88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 and 352.8 kHz) has been added to ALAC, FLAC, AIFF, and WAV.
* Chapterized AAC files which must be converted now save to the 128 kbps 44.1 kHz stereo AAC format (instead of 192 kbps).
* "Save As Chapterized AAC" is always available now, regardless of original file format or number of clips present.
* Chapter images for Chapterized AAC files are now all padded to the size of the largest image.
* An issue where closing an unsaved document in trial mode could still result in a corrupting save has been fixed (2.0.0a2).
* "Export Selection" now features the keyboard shortcut Option-Command-E.
* A new hidden preference for checking for Normalization Clipping has been added, accessible from the Debugging window.
* Custom format selections for exporting and batch converting have been improved to prevent invalid formats.
* Fission's accessibility for visually imparied users has been improved, correctly labeling several unlabeled elements.
* Fission now supports the TLEN ID3 tag.
* Fission now better handles malformed FLAC files, and supports more tag types in FLAC.
* Fission can now read AAC 3gpp files.
* Fission now correctly preserves creation dates when saving over old files.
What's New Version 2.1.1:
* Fission's Batch Converter now accepts folders (containing audio files), as well as individual files.
* The Save panel now correctly remembers the last location to which files were saved.
* An issue with chapterized AACs and very large image files has been corrected.
* Fission now has a hidden preference, accessible via the Debugging window, to check for and prevent rare Normalization clipping.
* Several other small bugs have been corrected.
* An issue where attempting to Save (with Cmd-S or by choosing Save) would cause an error for users of the Mac App Store version has been corrected.
What's New Version 2.1.2:
* A problem some users saw with Exporting and Transcoding acting unresponsive, even as it worked, should now be gone. Fission is sorry if it seemed to be ignoring you while it worked.
* The Start Window now remembers its state between files and launches. If you close it, it'll stay pretty well closed, and not annoy you so much. But please, don't you forget about it.
* Fission now better remembers previously used settings for saving and exporting. Amnesia be gone!
* Progress bars should now appear more reliably when exporting audio.
* An issue where the Mac App Store version of Fission would fail to save to a previously-specified location is now fixed.
* Several small issues related to re-encoding of audio have been corrected, preventing unnecessary re-encoding.
* Fission is now better a reading in chapterized AAC files. It was already pretty great, to be sure, but now it's even better.
* Several VoiceOver improvements have been made, with labels on previously unlabeled controls. We've still got more work to do, so watch for further updates, VoiceOver users!
* A conflict with Many Tricks' window manager Moom, which caused the selection of split points to fail, has been handled.
* Assorted rare crashes should now be even more rare, so rare that you might suspect they're gone entirely, which they are!
* There are probably other improvements which we've forgotten. The best way to be sure you've got them is, of course, to update.
The Batch Converter has been updated to properly handle all Windows Media files, as well as ALAC-encoded CAF files, and more.
A crash where the App Store version of Fission could crash when inserting silence has been corrected.
Fission now handles .m4a_partial files, to recover corrupted AAC files.
Several additional VoiceOver improvements have been made, with labels on previously unlabeled controls. We're always working to improve this.
The Channels selector now properly appears for mono files (if Stereo is selected, the mono channel is simply cloned).
Clip tabs now always show the clip name.
An issue where some FLAC files wouldn't properly open has been corrected.
Fission's looping now properly updates when you change the selection.
Fission's time wells now properly update when undoing.
Fission Progress Indicator now properly remembers its position.
Fission now retains the Inspector state between launches and file opens.
The Batch Converter's Convert button now properly deactivates after a conversion finishes.
Keyboard shortcuts now loop through Inspector tabs.
Smart Split's "Insert Splits" button now properly accepts Return.
Artwork wells now illuminate when an image is hovered over them.
Removing or cropping a whole file no longer gives a dumb error.
Fission now better illustrates when a file's audio is clipping. Thanks, Kirk!
A drawing issue when moving the playhead backwards has been corrected.
Improvements have been made to prevent already-rare deadlocks and crashes in PTWorkerThread.
Fission now better handles UTF-8 in ID3 tags.
Simply moving the playhead no longer dirties a file.
Fission had a problem with overusing the CPU when all windows were closed. That problem has been eradicated.