Reference management entails the collection, annotation, and citation of published information. Bookends greatly simplifies these tasks.
Bookends performs Internet searches to retrieve references and associated pdfs from PubMed, Amazon, Google Scholar, JSTOR, Web of Science, and hundreds of university libraries (some sites may require access privileges and ip authentication). Immediately find and import references for which you already have the pdf.
Versatile groups (static, smart, and virtual), Term Lists (keywords, authors, etc.), reference cross-linking (links), multiple notecards per reference, tag clouds, and near-instantaneous live searches help organize and find information in your personal collection. Highly configurable displays let you view the reference information and attachments the way you want.
Scan your word processor documents to create publication-ready manuscripts complete with bibliographies and footnotes. Bookends is compatible with Word (2004, 2008, and 2011), Mellel, Apple Pages '08 and ‘09, Nisus Writer Pro, OpenOffice 3, and any application that can save RTF files.
Sync your library, including pdfs, with Bookends On Tap (available separately for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch on the App Store).
Whether you are a student or professional, in the sciences or humanities, Bookends will help you every step of the way as you search for information, collect and analyze results, and put together your own work for submission or publication.
Click on the link below to visit Sonny Software, read about Bookends in more detail, see it in action in video tutorials.
Whats New in Version 11.3.2
• Fixed a bug where an "et al." in a temporary citation's quoted text could result in an unmatched citation during a scan with Word or Nisus Writer Pro.
• Fixed a bug where doing a Find for a color label would fail. If Ibid appears in a citation group, the group will not be sorted, to ensure that the Ibid follows the correct reference.
• Fixed a bug where renamed field labels were not instantly updated in the library window reference pane.
• Fixed a bug were the modified date was not being set for references transferred between libraries by drag and drop.
• Fixed a bug where performing an autocomplete paper when a tag cloud item was selected could result in an error message although the autocomplete worked. Fixed a problem where some groups would not sync with Bookends On Tap.
• Fixed a cosmetic bug in Lion and Mountain Lion where groups didn't appear after a rebuild until the library was closed and reopened.
• Fixed a bug in which a Type added in the format Bibliography tab would not immediately show up in the Type pop-up menu in the Citation Options tab.
• Fixed a problem where some internal formatting in a Pages document would prevent Bookends from finding temp citations in that section.
• Fixed a bug that could cause an error message when parsing reference found on JSTOR or the Library of Congress.
• Fixed a bug that caused some bibliography settings to be used for custom citation sitations when scanning a document.
• Fixed a bug where the order of the duplicates displayed in the Preview and Verify window could be switched if you edited one reference before deleting the other.
• Fixed a number of issues with metatypes.
• Fixed a bug that caused extra characters to be output in a scanned citation if the author's name was placed outide and the year had to be disambiguated.
What's New Version 11.3.4:
* Autofill ISBN from any Amazon source.
* Search Web Of Science for grant number and funding agency.
* The JSTOR parser in Bookends Browser was updated to deal with changes made by JSTOR.
* Perform a boolean NOT Spotlight search by putting a minus sign directly in front of a word.
* Bookends Browser will detect DOIs on the Web Of Science web site and allow you to import references and pdfs by clicking on the green icon.
* Automatically exclude author and title from a citation or footnote.
* The font size delta for small caps has been changed to 3 points (from 2).
* Keywords shown in a column in the list view will be separated with semicolons. Previously, only the first keyword was shown.
* Bug fixes.
• Improvements in adding Bookends formats and import filters received from others.
• A new smart group that finds the last X references entered is more accurate and much faster.
• Improved Remove Duplicates.
• Backslashes will be replaced with dashes in automatically-generated attachment names for compatability with DropBox.
• When BibTeX is enabled in preferences, the BibTeX format will automatically be enabled.
• Updated formats for American Society of Microbiology journals.
• In the library window column view, a tertiary sort by title will be performed by title if the author and date are the same.
• If "Idem" is used for a reference in a citation group, that group will not be sorted even if the format calls for it.
• Bug fixes.
• Refs -> Get DOI updated to deal with changes made by CrossRef.
• Updated Import From Existing Bibliography to deal with changes made by CrossRef.
• Updated Bookends Browser to detect DOIs on the Google Scholar web site after changes made by Google.
• Bug fixes.